Examining What We Do to Improve Our Schools Sandra Harris, Stacey Edmonson, Julie Combs
Tool 8.1 CARE Model: Planning Tool
Identify Concerns that must change (look to the future)
(Assign points to concerns from 1 to 3 in the order of the most important issues to consider.)
1. The teachers’ time is not being utilized wisely or productively.
2. Items on the agenda for the team meetings are out of date and new items are missing.
3. The structure is not conducive to teachers’ needs of meeting with subject specific teams and vertical teams.
Identify Affirmations that must be sustained (look to the present)
(Assign points to affirmations from 1 to 3 in the order of the most important issues to consider.)
1. Student concerns are addressed regularly and parents are contacted frequently.
2. We are incorporating cross-curricular planning in our meetings.
3. Teachers are meeting daily and are learning from one another in a professional community setting.
SMART Recommendations that must be implemented:
(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely)
(Assign points to recommendations from 1 to 3 in the order of the most important recommendations to implement.)
1. Change the agenda of the team meetings to incorporate PBL planning, student concerns, cross curricular planning, data disaggregation, vertical alignment, and instruction of curriculum by the beginning of next school year.
2. Include an alternative structure that consists of vertical teaming, subject specific teams, and grade level team meetings by the beginning of next school year.
3. Utilize a PLC format that includes norms, roles, and the keeping of meeting minutes by the beginning of next school year.
EVALUATE – Specifically and Often
(Identify the best ways to evaluate the implemented recommendations.)
1. Use surveys to evaluate the effectiveness of the new meetings.
2. Conduct group discussions at faculty meetings to elicit recommendations and feedback on the new meetings.
3. Implement walk-throughs during new PLC meetings to gain information and insight as to how the meetings are running.